Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pickens Plan

If you haven't seen the commercials yet on TV or heard them on radio, Pickens wants to reduce our dependency on foreign oil by putting up windmills in the midwest. After doing some research, putting up windmills in the midwest definitely gives us a viable source of alternate energy and I support the idea because rural America can earn some passive income while leasing their land to put up windmills while we get electricity from sources other than coal and nuclear energy.

Here's the problem with the plan: windmills don't reduce our dependency on foreign oil.

His plan, however, does discuss shifting our dependency from oil for cars to natural gas and biofuels. The problem is that we're still far off from getting this done. I support the idea, but hope that it doesn't include government subsidies to entice companies to come up with the technology to make it happen. The last thing we need is more pork barreling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who the hell is Pickens? ...and what about your plan? Do you plan to stay in politics or just hide behind a computer screen?

prsent said...

If you want to find out more about who Pickens is, go to www.pickensplan.com.

As far as whether I will remain in politics, run for office or "hide behind a computer screen", my answer is as follows: I am quite content with the opportunity to have run for office. I met many great people and made many friends in the process. Unfortunately, while speaking my mind about how disappointed I am with where our party is heading I was snubbed as a non-loyalist within the party and therefore blew my chances to ever run for office as a republican - at least until the party gets its act together and returns to its roots.