Monday, October 6, 2008

The non-political Washington, DC

I just returned from another weekend getaway. This time I took the family to Washington DC. So why Washington? My 7 year-old wanted to learn more about the Constitution, our founding fathers, and why she has a right to tell her fellow 2nd graders that "Obama sucks." As a side note, she was taught this year that the Constitution is a "piece of paper." She even had the guts to tell her teacher that if Obama wins she moving out of the country.

As we strolled along all the tourist spots in DC, I gave her a crash course in patriotism. I think she has a stronger sense of what it means to be an American after visiting the nation's capital. She learned about WWII, the Vietnam War, the Korean War, our founding fathers, and - most importantly - that our Constitution is more than just "a piece of paper."

In the posts to follow, I will share some of the photos we took while in the DC area.

No comments: